BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, October 13, 2007

Sold out by a brother-in-law...

Well, if you didn't know, I've been tagged by my bro-in-law Michael. So, I'm here to write seven things about myself. Some of them you might already know, but I'm going to try desperately to make this somewhat interesting. So here goes.

1) I'm a total nerd. I love studying the details of a ton of different subjects. I have to constantly remind myself that nobody really cares about the economic reasons against outsourcing, why we don't really need to worry all that much about China stealing jobs, or why we shouldn't have so many different programs that people think are so important. I have to remind myself that I'm one of the only dorks I know who thinks that economics is ridiculously interesting. Another subject I love studying is history and art history. I like to study cars. I'm not skilled at fixing them or anything like that, but I like studying what makes them go faster, how to make them corner better, brake better, etc. This interest has moved me into a new interest in model building.

2) I love traveling, but I like staying home. I'm the type of person that enjoys going on trips to various places, but when I'm not traveling, I like to stay at home and hang out. I've traveled to 8 different countries, and I've been to a few of them more than once. I've had great experiences like reflecting on life during a sunny afternoon on the Grand Canal in Venice. Or, there's the time when I rode my bike (faster than traffic) down a mountain, during a rainstorm, in some of the steepest mountains of Taiwan.

3) I enjoy theater. Starting when I was in 8th grade, I had the opportunity to perform in theater every year until I graduated. I was on the Davis High team that won State in theater in 2001 when I was a senior. When I watch movies, I like to analyze the theatrical elements and what the director might be trying to express that is not explicitly stated. I always like an opportunity to go to see theater, whether professional or amateur.

4) Although my time spent in this realm has diminished, I still love to ski. There's nothing quite like floating through powder, destroying your knees and killing your thighs through some moguls, or feeling that burn on your face as you carve down a steep groomer. I love going skiing with friends and covering them in a cloud of snow as you skid to a stop right in front of them (occasionally sliding out and knocking them and you down a hill). I enjoy swishing through trees so thick that you can barely see the sun and then breaking out into a sunny clearing where the snow glistens like small diamonds.

5) Every day I have the opportunity to put fear into the hearts of men and women all over Utah. I'm an internal auditor for the Utah Department of Human Services. It's amazing how worried people become when you e-mail them and the only question you ask is "What is the name of your current supervisor?" They freak out! I guess they think that I'm going to call their supervisor and recommend a termination, but really I just need it so that I can put it on a spreadsheet.

6) I have a secret ambition. I've always, and still, want to learn to play bass guitar. I don't know if I ever will because I just don't seem to have enough time. Maybe I'll pick it up when I'm retired and all the kids have moved out. Then all my grandkids will be able to tell their friends that they've got a rockin' gramps.

7) I like to make stupid movies with my video camera and iMac. Right now Jenny and I are working on a four-part series titled "Tour the Nielsens cars." So far we have "The Vibe" (our former rental car), "Mag" (Jenny's old Civic), "Nygel" (our Pathfinder), and we still have to film "Suby" for our Subaru. These feature films include music and narration which showcases the features and feelings associated with our cars. Hopefully you'll be seeing this series soon...

I now tag Jenny and Nate.

4 comments:

Turpin Times said...

Cam, you crack me up! Loved reading about you. Looking forward to see you as a rockin' gramps! -Mindi

Heather said...

Looking forward to the movie premier!

Stacy said...

You are such a nerd, but I love ya!!!!!!!!

JMan said...

Hey, I've made a new blog about fantasy basketball, you should check it out. jman30bball.blogspot.com!